Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of effective methods of dealing with children.
- Working knowledge of the core subjects at the grade level to which employment assignment is made.
- Some knowledge of the expected behavior of children, that is basic characteristics of ages and stages.
- Skill to make learning aids which will strengthen lesson plans.
- Ability to discern significant student behavior and provide intervention and support
Provide academic assistance
- Provide individualized instruction.
- Check and correct students' work while in progress.
- Increase and maintain on-task behavior with students
- Praise and reinforce achievement of students.
- Report student progress to teacher.
- Distribute and collect instructional materials.
Record student behavior.
Files data according to regulatory requirements.
- Monitoring Student Behavior
- Supervise students in the classroom and other locations
- Create and distribute awards for positive behavior.
- Promote student self-esteem.
- Teach citizenship, social skills and respect for others.
- Reconcile minor student conflicts
- Participate in development of discipline policy. Discipline misbehavior through approved methods.
- Report discipline problems to teacher or principal.
- Report to supervisor significant change or lack of change in student behavior.
- Provide personal care support to identified exceptional children, and assist with any other tasks students are unable to perform for themselves, (i.e., toileting/ catheterization, feeding, suctioning, etc.).